- Currently available alternative fuel vehicles: Department of Energy has a nice section in their Alternative Fuels Data Center website that compares the specifications, costs, maintenance and availability of today's alternative fuel vehicles. The California Energy Commission's Consumer Energy Center has a lot of information on alternative fuel vehicles too.
- Environmental performance of today's cars: The EPA's Green Vehicle Guide does a great job of summarizing the environmental impact (air pollution, greenhouse gasses and of all vehicles available today (not just alternative fuel vehicles. You can look up the model of vehicle that you are interested in purchasing, or compare classes of vehicles like SUVs. Did you know that, according to this guide, the Honda Civic is the greenest non-hybrid vehicle on the road today? It beats several hybrids on the road today. Greenercars.com also rates the greenest (and meanest) of today's cars.
- Alternative fuel properties: Another informative section on the DOE site compares the properties of alternative fuels. Their alternative fuel comparison chart looks at the energy content per gallon, the types of vehicles available today, the environmental impacts of burning the fuels, the U.S. energy security impacts of using the fuels, and the current availability of the fuels.
- Tips on saving gasoline today: The California Energy Commission has published 10 Driving Tips that will help you save gas now (for example, consider removing your roof rack to decrease wind resistance). The EPA has a similar list of tips, including suggestions to avoid long idles and speeding.
- Carbon footprint: BP offers a nice carbon footprint calculator on their website, along with suggestions for how to reduce your greenhouse gas emissions and a carbon saving knowledge quiz.
Those are just a few of the many wonderful resources available online today. I encourage you to share these tools with your family and friends as they make vehicle purchase decisions or try to reduce their carbon footprint. And if you know of other great clean vehicle resources out there, please post a comment here and share them with the rest of us!